Personal tools

Personal tools

Library History

Allison is a "family friendly community of friendly families" located in the heart of Butler county.  Allison was established in 1881 and today 1029 people make their home here. 

A group of progressive women established a reading circle in 1901, with books housed in the Arnold Brothers Store.  This early library was open to anyone who wished to donate a book or a sum of money.  Books were also borrowed from the Traveling Library Association and volunteer help made the libraray function for several years.

In 1921, the Allison Women's Club members each donated one or more books yearly and invited others to do the same.  For the next seven years these books were housed in Hill's Furniture Store and the collection grew from 200 volumes to 600.

Volunteers from the Allison Women's Club, Community Club,  and the Legion's Auxiliary formed the Allison Library Association and operated the library for one year.  In 1930, the Allison Library Association rendered to the town all of their books, supplies, and furniture.  The gift was accepted, and the Allison Public Library began operation as a city institution.

A new brick Town Hall was built in 1938, and the library was located on the second floor with over 2,000 books, encyclopedias, magazines, and reference materials.  This building was remodeled in 1971, and the Allison Public Library moved to the first floor with a Community Room and kitchen on the second floor. 

Our patrons and circulation continued to grow and with the new millennium came the need for a new modern facility.  We are most proud of our community for the support it provided both in the bond referendum and through the building committee.

Our current collection exceeds 13,500 volumes housed in our new facility at 412 Third Street.  The Allison Public Library serves all the residents of Allison, Bristow, and rural Butler County.  Allison is proud to welcome you to her beautiful, spacious, "family friendly" public library.